In this busy life, it’s easy to fall into a slump of blah. Kids to manage, work deadlines, mid-term papers, sick family member…the list goes on. Regardless of stage in life, it can all be a bit overwhelming. So while external demands are a challenge to control, diet and exercise are within reach!
Calorie intake and food choice all contribute to weight, skin appearance, energy level, and behavior. Too many calories and too much junk food can lead to obesity, acne, over tiredness and depression while healthier choices can have the opposite effect. Studies suggest that there are foods that can help fight off depression and lower anxiety and stress. Consider the benefits of adding these things to your diet:
- Salmon/Fish Oil – Omega-3 DHA rich foods are heart healthy and improves joint pain
- Leafy Greens – High in folic acid which reduces the risk of depression
- Coffee/Green Tea – Coffee decreases risk of depression while green tea has a calming effect on the brain
- Water- Prevents dehydration which brings on fatigue and mood change
- Air popped popcorn- Raises serotonin levels that helps you relax and feel happy
- Berries- Boost brain function
- Raw peppers – High in vitamin C, which reduces stress hormone
- Dates – Increases serotonin levels which make you feel happy
- Olive Oil – May help reduce the progression of depression disorder
- Berries – Boosts brain function
- Vitamin D supplements – Reduces depression
Exercise or any physical activity is energizing, adds years to life and in general improves your quality of life. If you aren’t already in a regular exercise routine, adding one more thing can seem overwhelming! 30 minutes daily is enough to reap the rewards! Specific fitness goals would require a time adjustment but the overall health benefits are the same. Bedroom benefits are a plus with better sleep and a spark in sex life. Active women who feel attractive often experience enhanced arousal and an increased interest in sex life while active men are less likely to experience erectile dysfunction than those who are not physically active.
Diet and exercise are a natural recipe for a happy life. Challenge friends to join you and make it fun! Being focused on a goal is a positive distraction from the mundane and the boost of energy and confidence can do wonders for your outlook in life!
If you haven’t engaged in physical activity for some time or have any chronic health problems, heart disease, diabetes or arthritis then be sure to check with your doctor ♥